5 Top CMS Platforms For Web Development
Nowadays to get a competitive edge, building a business website is mandatory and to do that, you need a Custom Content Management System(CMS). The term CMS is nothing new to you, however, with a number of new platforms emerging every year, sometimes it becomes hard to find out the top CMS platforms to choose from.
Whether you need to set up a blog, a portal for maintaining web presence, an attractive eCommerce website or anything else to enhance your online presence, there is are CMS tools for your specific needs. The decision to choose the perfect CMS tools for website depends on your requirement. Therefore, you have to decide the purpose of your website at the first place (I hope you have already done that).
Now, let us discuss about the 5 top CMS platforms available and what are they offering differently in their latest updated versions:
Top CMS Platforms:
WordPress is an online, open source website development and management tool based on PHP that ranks first among the top CMS platforms. However, in non-geek speak, it’s probably the easiest and most powerful blogging and website content management system with 59% market share altogether.
WordPress 4.5 latest features for web development:
Version 4.5 of WordPress, named “Coleman” has few improved and newly added properties to offer such as:
1) Inline Linking, Formatting Shortcuts and Custom Logos.
2) Smart Image Re-sizing, Selective Refresh, Better Embed Templates.
If you are looking for a website for blogging, product showcasing or e-commerce purpose with high quality, good support and security at the same time then WordPress can be your perfect choice.
Magento is an e-commerce platform built on open source technology that provides online merchants with a flexible shopping cart system. It is considered to be the a leader among the top CMS platforms in eCommerce industry. Magento offers powerful marketing, search engine optimization, and catalog-management tools. Specifically made for e-commerce stores. Magento has a 9.69% overall market share.
Magento 2.1 latest features for web development:
As Magento is one of the CMS tools that’s more and more inclined towards e-commerce the updates also focus on the same vertical-
1) PayPal enhancements include PayPal in-context checkout and saved credit/debit cards.
2) Braintree enhancements enable merchants to qualify for the easiest set of PCI compliance.
3) Improved management interfaces make Magento faster and easier to search for information.
If you want to make an e-store with advanced payment systems and faster loading properties Magento 2.1 can be a good option.
Among the top CMS platforms, Drupal ranks 3rd. Drupal is one of the ready to use CMS tools written in the PHP programming language. The software supports content management, newsletters, collaborative authoring, pod-casts, image galleries, file uploads/downloads, peer-to-peer networking, and more.
Drupal 8.1 latest features for web development:
1) With new version, developers can put configuration under version control, track changes and update a production site cleanly
2) Developers can also expose data as XML and JSON, and take advantage of advance web services
3) Now developers can use several “best of breed” libraries like PHPUnit, Composer, Zend Feed Component, Guzzle and others.
If you are searching for an easier to build, support, use and migrate website the Drupal 8.1 can be a perfect web development tool for you in a low investment.
Joomla is one of the web development platform that’s designed to be easy to install and set up even if you’re not an advanced user. Not many Web hosting services offer a single-click install, getting your new site up and running in just a few minutes.
Since Joomla CMS tools are so easy to use for Web developer or designer, your web developer can quickly build sites. Also Joomla makes it easier to manage the website further.
Joomla 3.5 latest features for web development:
1) TinyMCE Drag & Drop Images: a user-friendly way to add images directly to articles.
2) Insert Modules into Articles: a new button has been added to the toolbar to get easy access to the modules.
3) Count items: Joomla 3.5 includes multiple counters in the category view for your articles, contacts, banners, and news feeds, making it easier to keep track of items.
If you are prone to develop a well optimized website that is content filled and complicated then Joomla can be one of your preferred web development platforms.
Microsoft DNN :
DNN is an open source software that is intended to allow management of websites without technical knowledge, and to be extensible through a large number of third-party applications to provide functionality not included in the DNN core modules.
DNN 8.0.3 latest features for web development:
1) .Net 4.5.1 or higher version is required.
2) Removed modules like Feed browser, Widget framework. Getting Started and Contact list.
3) Removed support for internet explorer.
As this is a .Net based platform, it is mostly suitable for Microsoft supported tools. Other than that, DNN can be a great tool for web development.
As you can see, determining which CMS platform is the best fit for you individual web development requires consideration of a number of criteria, and each of the web development platforms has its own benefits and drawbacks. If you’re looking for a good reason to choose a particular CMS platform over another, then you can shortlist any one from above mentioned top CMS platforms as per your requirement and install them for a demo.
Looking for an on-demand sofrware team for web development? ValueCoders, one of the leading agile web development companies in India, provides remote web developers efficient working on WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, Magento and DNN, who make secure, optimized and quality web applications with the following advantages.
- Zero billing guarantee
- Pro-level Teams
- Guaranteed SLAs
- Flexible Hiring Models
2,119 total views