How to Add a Shipping Module In Your Magento Website ?
Ever wondered if you could add a new magento shipping module into your magento-based website to improve its functionality? It could be done conveniently with a little bit of programming and coding. It is not a difficult task to add a magento shipping extension but you need to understand how the process works.
A shipping module basically means managing the order before it is processed for payment. It enables the browser to place the order and further decide how to charge and deliver it to the customers. Your magento-based website similarly takes the order and then calculates the shipping charges depending on the shipping option selected by the customer. Every active shipping module offers several options to the browser but processes the module in the same manner. Customer can select any one option from the available payment options to get their items delivered at their doorstep.
Three things are required to create a new magento shipping module:
- config.xml entries
- system.xml entries
- Shipping module
One should know that shipping price depends upon total order cost, weight, dimensions, product attributes, etc.
- To add a new shipping module to the magento website: Before starting with the process, ensure that you give company name to all the instances of your company. Additionally, replace the new module with the name of the new payment. Check out the PHP path and ensure that it is app/code/local/. Remember to clear the cache once you modify the configured xml files.
- Set the configuration and create an xml file (app/code/local/company name/payment name/etc/config.xml) and complete the required coding to create the new module. There is not set configuration. Although, the magento installation is aware about the new created module.
- Add extra information into the adapter. Create (app/code/local/company name/payment name/ model/carrier/shippingmethod.php) and finish the required coding. The coding involves all the desired information. The magento extensions enable you to flexibly set the name of the shipping method that you want to add. It basically depends on the payment gateway that you will finally attach with it.
- Next, allow the admin to configure the new shipping module and let it demonstrate in the checkout process. Once you go through this process, explain magento about the new payment module that is to be showcased in admin after setting the configuration. This will require programming a small code after you create an xml file (app/code/local/company name/payment name/etc/ system.xml)
- Save the file. Check if the saved file is saved under ‘system>configuration>shipping methods’, as the new payment module. You can also add custom fields in the field tags based on your needs and requirements.
There are several shipping methods like Express shipping; Free shipping that can be added. You can also add the option of ‘tracking delivery’ for enhancing its functionality.
This is merely very simple. We little programming, one can define his own shipping logic that integrates with payment checkout, admin panel and also the shopping cart promotions. If you are unable to create your shipping module in your website, it is recommended to seek professional assistance.
For complete development and management solutions for a Magento website, it is recommended that a business hires the services of professional developers. ValueCoders provides dedicated, experienced Magento developers for your E-commerce store. The company has a proven track record in development and management of e-commerce stores for clients from across the globe.
286 total views