Before we go deep into the discussion of Native app vs Hybrid app, let’s take a look at the current situation of mobile market. According to a latest survey, about 86% of smartphone users prefer Android OS and 14% prefer iOS. However, if you compare it with the market segment, it can happen that some customers are on iOS. Some may find Android as their targeted mobile OS. Therefore, once you are not certain about it, it’s better to opt for both. Hence, what to build? A Native app or a Hybrid one?
To find out who is going to win the Native app vs Hybrid app war, let’s first discuss both the architectures in a proper way. We will start with Native app vs hybrid app
Native App vs Hybrid App
Native mobile app is the one which is coded in exclusive programming language for different mobile platforms. The most popular out of all is Java for Android OS and Objective-C or Swift for iOS devices. No doubt, native mobile app is way ahead as it provides an outstanding user experience and prominent performance out of a mobile app.
Merits of Native App
1) Native mobile apps are mostly integrated with fast graphics with fluid animations built in. It’s also very convenient to use with a native mobile OS look and feel.
2) Native mobile app can access specific mobile OS APIs such as camera, photos, push notifications, and in-app purchases, which would otherwise be prohibited.
3) If you’re developing a native mobile app for iOS, you will get many development resources, development tools, and reading material to help you out.
4) It is a bit less painful to develop a native mobile app as it focuses only on one mobile platform at a time as it gets support from respective mobile platform.
Demerits of Native App vs Hybrid App
1) It is a take long time to build a native app if you want create separate mobile apps for different mobile platforms. Here are some of the time estimate for your better understanding:-
2) Native mobile app typically requires different source codes for smartphone and tablets which makes it difficult to code for different devices.
3) It is very expensive to develop number of native mobile apps for different mobile platforms and maintain them separately.
4) If you need to release the mobile app in another app store then you might need to complete write the codes from scratch.
Hybrid App vs Native App
Hybrid mobile app is a combination of elements of both native mobile app and Web apps. It takes many of the good features from native mobile apps and adds cross browser flexibility like web apps. As a result, you get a mobile app which functions more like a native app with no platform boundaries.
Merits of Hybrid App
1) The content of a hybrid mobile app can be easily ported and requires a native source code to run in another mobile platform. Hence, it’s quick to develop and its maintenance is easy.
3) Some software development frameworks like Ionic or React provides flexibility act of a web page to work like a native app. Hence, it can be distributed on the app stores.
Read more: Xamarin or Ionic, which one to choose?
4) Hybrid mobile app has options to package locally or through servers that enables to access it online as well as offline.
Demerits of Hybrid App
1) If the App Store recognizes that your mobile app is not fully native, there is a chance it may deny listing from the App Store.
2) When a new Apple iOS version is released, hybrid mobile app developers would have to depend on a third party before they design hybrid mobile apps on the new OS updates.
3) Since hybrid mobile app development is still new in the development space, there is less support available for troubleshooting uncommon issues.
4) Lack of the genuine UI assets of Android or iOS sometimes result in performance slow down and can brink security threats as well. Here are some examples:
How to decide on Native app vs Hybrid app:
Now as you have understood clearly about the pros and cons of both the architectures, this flow chart will help you to end up with right decision:
If you are clear about the requirements of your app and follow this flowchart with consideration of the merits and demerits of both the architectures, we hope this will help you to decide your match.
However, regardless of the architecture you choose, we are there to help you. At Valuecoders, we provide agile software teams for all kinds of mobile app development projects. Few of the benefits to partner with us are:
- Flexible Hiring Models
- On-time delivery and NDAs
- Zero billing guarantee
- Guaranteed SLAs