PHP, a top-notch server-side scripting language, is one of the most popular web development languages. It is an open-source language. It offers an easy learning curve and useful frameworks for enterprise-grade applications.
Many PHP frameworks make agile development possible and enhance application performance. This also allows startups, SMEs, and large enterprises to grow over time.
As per the W3Techs survey, PHP is utilized by 78.9% of the majority of web servers.
Today, however, the most intriguing debates run around frameworks. The battles around structure and syntax have subsided. The now-prevalent dilemma lies in choosing a software development framework whose architecture suits you best.
Here is one of the four most prominent PHP frameworks in the market currently used for building enterprise-grade web applications by companies. Let’s begin the famous PHP frameworks, namely Codeigniter Vs CakePHP Vs Yii Vs Laravel battle.
Codeigniter Vs Cakephp Vs Yii Vs Laravel: Top 4 PHP Frameworks Overview
Let’s begin with knowing important factors about Codeigniter, Yii, CakePHP, and Laravel. This helps you analyze the Codeigniter Vs CakePHP Vs Yii Vs Laravel war result.
Codeigniter is a full package of libraries, components, and tools. The built-in framework libraries come without installation, integrated security tools, database abstraction, and excellent documentation; it also has broad and active community support. This is one of the popular PHP frameworks based on MVC Architecture.
753,660 live websites are using CodeIgniter. Additionally, 569,679 sites used CodeIgniter historically.
Source: Built With
Advantages of Using Codeigniter
- CakePHP framework depends on the Model-View-Control model, which identifies the business report from the data presentation coating. The Models connect the database with queries and store the information directly in the database. It allows showing content in a viewable set-up to the end-user.
- This framework helps PHP Developers speed up web applications by executing page and database caching. It lessens database load by caching database queries as naive text files through the Database Caching Class.
- CodeIgniter features help you protect the web app from basic security threats like cross-site scripting attacks, SQL injection, and remote code execution.
- The CodeIgniter can also be extended in several ways – custom libraries, class extensions, and third-party plug-ins/add-ons. This framework allows you to develop core libraries without additional time and effort.
Disadvantages of using Codeigniter
- Enterprises hire PHP programmers to write clear, readable, and structured code. The high quality and simple code help enterprises to manage, change and update the web app quickly in the future. Most PHP frameworks allow you to do so, but CodeIgniter does not support the modular separation of code by default.
- It allows you to install only the libraries needed by the web application. The libraries given by CodeIgniter are not as exhaustive as the libraries produced by other modern PHP frameworks.
CakePHP is a popular open-source framework offering enterprises a fast application development process. CakePHP helps businesses reach highly robust and specialized websites by following the simple procedure. However, numerous PHP frameworks are easily accessible in the market, but CakePHP has made its place among the profoundly deemed web development platforms.
60,525 live websites are using CakePHP. Additionally, 132,438 sites used CakePHP historically.
Source: Built With
Advantages of using CakePHP
- CakePHP depends on the Model-View-Control model which identifies the business report from the data presentation coating. The Models connect the database with queries and store the information directly in the database. It allows showing content in a viewable set-up to the end-user.
- This framework saves Data in the form of tables and further shows it throughout classes. CakePHP directly supports the ORM technique, thus combining the speciation of an object programming language.
- CakePHP grants CRUD functionality, which supports easy management of data. It encourages you to Read, Update, Create, and Delete the distinct objects in the system. Several database management concerns are elucidated by hanging CRUD.
- CakePHP allows you to reuse the code, which saves development time. It allows developers to focus on the objective and imaginative part of the project.
Disadvantages of using CakePHP
- CakePHP requires updating the default routes for obtaining Fancy URLs. Additionally, the functionality of CakePHP is not so simple to learn.
- One-way routing in CakePHP is generally a drawback compared to other PHP frameworks.
Yii is a high-performance PHP framework for building large-small scale PHP applications. Yii and other PHP frameworks allow developers to build a full-fledged web app within less time. Once installing the Yii on the system enables you to run websites in a completely functional way. This framework supports CRUDing functionality (creating, reading, updating, and deleting).
115,338 live websites are using Yii Framework. Additionally, 250,054 sites used Yii Framework historically.
Source: Built With
Advantages of using YII
- This famous PHP framework supports MVC(model-view-controller) architecture. Due to its uniquely designed Controller, the different libraries and packages are linked efficiently. This framework allows you to separate the database server from the user to build robust and more reliable web applications. Ultimately, it presents a systematic approach to the process of application building.
- This PHP framework includes clean, elegant caching support, allowing PHP developers to create highly optimized web applications. Yii renders optimized web apps to provide a comparable user experience on smart devices.
- This framework follows a wide variety of security measures that prevent your websites from attacks like cookie tampering, SQL injection, cross-site scripting (CSS), and cross-site request forgery (CSRF).
- The framework includes efficient error handling and logging systems. It also includes theming and skinning mechanisms capable of switching the form of a website.
Disadvantages of using YII
- Expert and knowledgeable PHP developers can work on this framework. For novice programmers, managing the web app on this PHP framework may be challenging.
Laravel is one of the top-rated PHP frameworks in the market today. It allows developers to focus on core fundamentals with the PHP server-side programming language. It allows developers to concentrate on core fundamentals, with smooth scaling benefits and agile development with codes. So, you can hire Laravel developers if you want to deploy all such features in your next web app.
466,342 live websites are using Laravel. Additionally, 610,637 sites used Laravel historically.
Source: Built With
Advantages of using Laravel
- Laravel comes with its unified command-line interface named Artisan. It permits developers to create skeletal codes. It also allows you to manage the database system, so developers don’t have to execute routine programming tasks. An artisan is an excellent tool for creating and managing simple MVC files with their settings.
- This PHP Framework allows you to build links within the structure to named routes. For naming, you have to use the name of the precise router when building the links, and the system will inject the demanded URL automatically.
- The ideal web application keeps its users up-to-date regarding the newest deals and proposals. With Laravel, you can utilize drivers for Amazon SES, SMTP, Mandrill, Mailgun, Sendmail, and SparkPost that allow you to send emails through local, or cloud-based services.
- Laravel permits you to use npm and bower packages if you wish to unite the framework with Elixir or Gulp. Integrating with the composer can fix the dependency issues.
Disadvantages of using Laravel
- Laravel has restricted inbuilt support due to its remaining lightweight.
- PHP platforms generally have a few concerns concerning versions with long-term support, which made Laravel sometimes critiqued. The updates also sometimes cause a few issues.
Examine Various Parameters Of PHP Frameworks (Codeigniter, CakePHP, Yii & Laravel)
By analyzing the various parameters of the Codeigniter, CakePHP, Yii & Laravel PHP Frameworks, it will be easier to choose the best framework for the business needs.
FEATURE-BASED COMPARISON AMONG YII VS CAKEPHP VS CODEIGNITER VS LARAVEL
The features of PHP frameworks are the key parts, which is why it is important to know each feature’s working. You can select the best PHP framework for your web app development based on framework features. Below the comparison table of Yii vs CakePHP vs Codeigniter vs Laravel will help you in selecting the best.
Source: vs chart
THE BOTTOM LINE OF CODEIGNITER VS CAKEPHP VS YII VS LARAVEL WAR
Each framework has pros and cons, and every web app developer has different coding styles and preferences. We hope you find a valuable framework on our list for you and your team.
While finalizing your decision, let us remind you that it is never about the number of features a particular PHP framework provides. It’s about the overall functionality of the specific framework and how the functionalities can be utilized within your web development project. Hence, choose one of the above-mentioned PHP frameworks as per your project needs and save cost and time by hiring a PHP web development company.
You can always consult us with your project requirements.
We, at ValueCoders(a leading web development company), possess 15+ years of experience, 450+ developers, and over 2000+ successfully completed projects, and are more than happy to help you out in choosing the right development framework for your project.
Download Your FREE e-Guide NOW!
Discover What, Why & How of "" with this FREE e-Guide!